Now that the holiday hustle is nearly over, our marketing team has some time to reflect on the past year – what worked, what didn’t and what we want to try in the future – because even us pros have a lot to learn.
- Millennials are no longer brands’ first priority. Another key demographic has come of age: Generation Z, otherwise known as those born during or after 1995. With close to $44 billion in purchasing power (according to Forbes), their attitude toward social media (they like more privacy) and advertising (they’re resistant) will shape the future of both.
- Influencer marketing is bigger than ever. People always follow the popular kids – and these days, they follow those kids on Instagram. Engaging pillars of social media for brand recognition/profit is a strategy that’s steadily gaining traction; a 2017 study determined this marketing tactic got the second-highest ROI of all.
- Clickbait isn’t fooling anyone. Hooking customers by declaring that an article or product will “Literally Change Your Entire Life Forever” is suspicious and, let’s face it, dishonest. (Unless you’ve invented a workable method of teleportation, in which case please contact us immediately because that would literally change our entire lives forever.) Rather than leading with hyperbole, test out longer, Inc.-recommended headlines.
- Chatbots are the new liaisons. More than ever, computerized customer service reps are connecting companies with customers. While the technology isn’t perfect, chatbots are getting smarter every day; and according to Grand View Research, the global market is predicted to reach $1.23 billion by 2025.
- Video content is exploding. Content is always crucial, and that content is increasingly being delivered through video. Forbes estimates half a billion people are watching a video on Facebook every day. Pro tip from Buffer: Square videos not only command 78 percent more space on a mobile news feed, they also get more engagement.
Bonus lesson: We take epic group photos.
What was your most valuable 2017 takeaway? Let us know in the comments below!